Monday 9 September 2013

SEVILLE; day one

If you read my last post you will know that over the weekend I was in Seville, Spain, for a wedding. I'd never been to Seville before so I was super excited to visit a new city. I actually bought a travel guide as well so that I could learn about the attractions before I went and figure out which ones I wanted to see the most. However, in my mad rush to pack and the fact I barely had any time before we left on the Friday morning, I forgot it. But I know that it will not go to waste as during my 3 days there, I have decided that I have to go back and explore the city further as the weekend made me fall in love with the place. And I hope that this post and the 2 that will be coming in the next few days will convince you to visit the beautiful city!

But onto the actual trip!

In my last post I also mentioned that I was going out on Thursday night for 3 of my friends' belated birthday's and would be out until pretty early in the morning (3am!). Now this is late for any party-goer but when you have to be up at half 4 to get a taxi to the airport, it's pretty hardcore! As a result, I was asleep for the majority of the flight to Malaga (around 2 and a half hours) and then the car journey to Seville (again, around 2 and a half hours) and so there are no photos of the trip. However, as we started to travel further into the core of the city, towards the cathedral and parts of the city where modernisation hadn't yet reached, I couldn't sleep. To go from such urban surroundings with some of the most unique and modern buildings to old, cobbled streets and palaces was such a strange experience but one I very much enjoyed. I personally much preferred the ancient parts of the city and wish I could have spent more time viewing it's main attractions!

Upon arrival at the hotel (we stayed at Hotel Dona Maria and if you ever visit Seville, i whole heartedly recommend staying there - it's beautiful, the staff are wonderful and it's in a prime location, all you have to do is step out of the hotel and there's the cathedral!), we quickly rushed upstairs, unpacked and changed into something more comfy and cooler to have a nice, relaxing walk around the cathedral.






















After a stretch of the legs, we headed back to our room to shower and freshen up before meeting the rest of the group to have some drinks and a nice catch up at a bar called El Giraldillo which was right by the cathedral.




When we'd all become acquainted with each other, the girls of the group (plus my dad...) walked through the back streets to an old authentic flamenco school. Kelly (the bride) told us that before the new owners came to the scene, the students of the flamenco school would put on shows for whoever was about at the time. It has now become much more well known and far more tourist orientated with seats very limited and the best spots taken way before the show starts. However, we still managed to get great seats and the whole show was incredible - totally one of a kind!

















Now I apologise for the blurriness of the photos but we could only take pictures at the end during their final piece and they very rarely stood still (understandable as the show was for dancing!). However, I really like how they've come out - the lighting and the motion just make the pictures have that little something else.

After the show, we headed out to look for a tapas bar to get a small bite to eat before walking past the cathedral and back to our hotel room, ready to collapse in our beds after a long and tiring day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to leave a comment if you want to!